Thursday, March 23, 2006

Taking cover, calling it quits

With the festival receding fast in the rearview, the Austin Chronicle wrapped up 99.99 percent of its coverage this week. I managed to squeeze a final review into the mix, covering the Pretenders Saturday night showcase at Stubb's. To read why the Pretenders still matter click here -- which marks this as the last of my entries for the time being.

(Chrissie Hynde, left, courtesy Mary Sledd.)

But before I go, check out thesel postings of showcases, or at least songs from SXSW showcases at You Tube; there are plenty more from shows and panels alike. Now, I don't know the legality of all this, but the following seemed worth spreading the word on. First up, Nickel Creek -- a band I regret having missed. Their latest CD Why Should the Fire Die? is the best sort of New Grass, alt-rock amalgam.

Here NC performs Britney Spears' "Toxic"(careful, that's the real deal vid). The cover is better than you would think. It actually makes the song sound like music.



Here's what I had to say about the disc in my festival preview: "Leaving the ubiquitous taint of "O Brother" in the dust, Nickel Creek plunges ahead with a sound more reminiscent of Coldplay or Nirvana Unplugged than Ralph Stanley. Though this So-Cal trio disdains drums for the most part, their latest, Why Should the Fire Die? (Sugar Hill), has a dark, rhythmic undertow. Clever covers remain a live staple, but the originals grow stronger every outing."

Last, but certainly not least, I also uncovered this video of fuzzy punk rawk Flaming Lips covering Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" during one of the bands two "secret" showcases last week. I missed both. Bastards!



Okay, that's it. Thanks for sharing this adventure. I'm outie....

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Hess said...

Thanks for the link to the Lips. Great to relive that one. And apparently I did see Gogol Bordello at Emo's, I just didn't know who they were. Sorry, it was daytime, and I had a buzz working. Great job on this site. Now get up here and go skiing with me!
ch

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home