Saturday, March 18, 2006

Day four: downtown low down break down

Sleep deprivation sets in as the year's festivities begin to wind down. Three AM, three nights running, and I've enjoyed all the music I could and then some. I got a fever now -- and I don't mean dengue; although the Dengue Fever set on Thursday was good delirium (see previous post: Touch me, I'm sick). I mean a cold has set in. But psychic delerium first set in two days ago, when I witnessed the mad antics of Gogol Bordello's Eugene Hutz, a Ukranian gypsy punk (pictured here at the Warped Tour, courtesy socalscene.net). Hutz and his allies literally climbed the rafters at the apex of his band's late show Thursday night/Friday morning at the longtime alt-music venue Emo's. Ain't nothing like a pair of sequined-purple shorts and a Freddie Mercury mustache to put the action back in an act. Click MySpace to sample Gogol Bordello; here's a profile from the BBC.


Reviews and previews for acts such as Echo and the Bunnymen, Beth Orton and Ben Taylor (JT's kid) can be found in the Chronicle. Click the links for stories. And one more for good luck. As Ian McCulloch sang in front of maybe 5,000 fans on Thursday, "Won't you come on down to my rescue."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home